PAA Job Description
Campuswide Honors invites interested and qualified honors students to apply for the position of Honors Peer Academic Advisor (PAA). Honors PAAs will serve for the entire 2020-21 academic year and are expected to participate in the training offered during Spring Quarter 2020 and prior to Welcome Week in September 2020, in preparation for Welcome Week activities.
Honors PAAs hold office hours and advise both prospective and currently enrolled honors students about UCI, the Honors Program, and various campus resources. Honors PAAs work as a team to develop and implement various extracurricular programs and activities with a focus on academics, community building, and faculty and alumni interaction (including Faculty Coffee Hour, Course Planning Workshops, Beach Day, and the annual Camping Retreat). As vital members of the Honors leadership team, they also co-coordinate and assist with events planned in the honors housing facilities or by the Campuswide Honors Student Council (CHSC), Honors Experience Day, Celebrate UCI, and other programs as required.
Honors PAAs, together with the Honors Advisors and honors staff, help create and develop the close-knit community that is an essential part of Campuswide Honors at UC Irvine. Honors PAAs have a substantial role in the orientation of new Honors freshmen, specifically through group meetings during Welcome Week. They facilitate communication with other groups of Honors students as well (including transfer students, commuters, upper-division students, etc.) through workshops, student interaction and advising, and various outreach initiatives.
- Counsel honors students on major selection, class scheduling, preparing for postgraduate study or jobs, etc. Provide information to students regarding honors curriculum and Honors policies, the petition process, the research and thesis process, and other related Honors issues. Advise prospective applicants to Campuswide Honors regarding requirements and procedures for admission, benefits, and graduation requirements.
- Maintain awareness of current Honors course offerings and programs; Campuswide Honors, major, and UCI requirements; University resources and support services; Campuswide Honors and University deadlines and policies. Be a strong advocate for Campuswide Honors and UCI.
- Plan and implement student/faculty interactions and other academically-oriented events (i.e., workshops, Faculty Coffee Hour, and special advising programs for freshmen, sophomores, and transfer students).
- Attend all CHSC meetings (bi-weekly) and be a positive and involved member of the Honors community.
- Offer assistance and consultation to campus organizations that require information about honors students and/or the Honors Program.
- Serve as a liaison between administrative personnel, faculty, and honors students in resolving advising concerns or problems; refer students as needed. Convey honors student concerns/issues to honors staff, as appropriate.
- Plan and implement community events and other special projects.
- Evaluate and write up feedback after completion of each event. Work with honors staff and other honors student leaders (through CHSC and Honors Housing) to provide a range of social, cultural, and extracurricular events for all Honors students.
- Participate in all training seminars prior to employment (general and in unit, as outlined in this application), as well as ongoing training and team development throughout the year.
- As a member of the Academic Advisory Committee (AAC), meet regularly with other campus PAAs to make recommendations for advising improvements, discuss advising issues, and receive further training as necessary. Maintain accurate record of students served through online tally system.
Required Qualifications (What the candidate should bring to the job):
- Current Campuswide Honors student in good standing, with a minimum GPA of 3.2
- As of Fall 2020, be at least third-year status (as defined by year in school, not by units completed)
- Must intend to hold the Honors Peer Academic Advisor position for the full academic year (2020-2021) and enroll at UCI as a full-time student each quarter
- Have clearly demonstrated leadership skills and experience in developing/coordinating academic/extra-curricular programs
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop supportive interactions with other students, both one-on-one and within groups
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented environment
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize the Honors PAA position
- Experience planning programs and events, or organizing groups of people to complete a project
- Students who have completed/will complete all honors course sequences and research, as required by Campuswide Honors
- Experience using: Microsoft Word, Excel, Microsoft Access or some other database program, desktop publishing software or experience creating flyers/newsletters
- Experience using social media and blogs to communicate with groups
- Experience using Honors services and resources and attending Honors-sponsored events
- Experience working in an office
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work and relate well with faculty and staff
Competencies to be Acquired (What the candidate can expect to learn on the job):
- Experience in paraprofessional counseling on an individual and group basis
- Referral skills and cooperative working skills with University staff members
- Increased awareness of University services and academic program operations
- Enhancement of leadership, organization, and communication skills
- Experience working in a professional office
Training, Service, and Salary:
MANDATORY Training (MUST be available):
- Spring 2020: Thursdays, 5-7 p.m. plus additional hours (to be determined) spent shadowing current Honors PAAs in the Honors Office, planning the Campuswide Honors Spring Beach Day, participating in the Celebrate UCI Honors Information Panel and helping current Honors PAAs implement Spring Faculty Coffee Hour
- September 14-17: Additional training in the Honors Office (20 hours during the week before Welcome Week)
- September 18: General PAA Refresher Training
- Early-Mid August, 2020: At least one of the Honors PAAs MUST be available to work in the Honors Office to:
- Schedule all Freshman Meetings
- Prepare inserts for Campuswide Honors Summer Mailing
- Develop flyer for Campuswide Honors Fall Beach Day
- Other tasks as needed
(NOTE: If not available to come to campus in person, all Honors PAAs MUST be “contactable” in some way during this time)
- September 14-18: Besides additional training (20 hours) in the Honors Office, Honors PAAs will also help prepare and finalize plans for Welcome Week events and early fall activities
- During Welcome Week: 20 hours, including Freshman Meetings and all Campuswide Honors New Student Orientation Programs
- During Academic Year: 10 hours/week, including participation in all Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) meetings (currently held every even week of each quarter, on Wednesdays from 5-6 p.m.), and other campus PAA activities throughout the year. Also includes other required meetings, such as CHSC meetings (bi-weekly) and meetings with the Honors Advisors (weekly)
- Help with campus-wide events during the year, such as Honors Experience Day, Celebrate UCI, and other Discover UCI events.
- Minimum wage (with increase in salary subject to budget approval)
We strongly encourage you to contact a current Honors PAA at (949) 824-8409 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to talk more about what this position entails. For additional information, you may also contact Mary Gillis at (949) 824-5461.