Erkki Corpuz – Class of 2000

erkkicorpuz Coming to UCI was the best decision I ever made, and being a part of the Campuswide Honors Program was what really made my college experience the most it could be. While I found the honors coursework challenging, I knew that I came to college to learn and courses like Humanities Core and Critical Issues in the Social Sciences really challenged me and exposed me to several disciplines outside of my major. My degree was in Biological Sciences, but I felt that I learned so much more. I learned to think critically and to ask intelligent questions. Participating in research also gave me independence and allowed me to make new scientific discoveries.

While I was very pleased with the education I received as a member of the CHP, I had no idea that the Honors Program would have such a profound effect on my college and professional life. I was very impressed by my fellow CHP cohorts both academically and socially. In fact, all of the people that I consider my “best friends” from college are all CHP students who I met living in honors housing. I still keep in touch with these people to this day, and they are not only a part of my social network, but my professional network as well.

After college, I took a job with the CHP as the Programming Coordinator, and later became the Honors Advisor. It was a great way for me to stay connected to UC Irvine and the CHP. I met a lot of great students who later became great friends of mine. Working in the CHP office made me realize how important getting a graduate degree is, so I decided to take my own advice and apply for a postgraduate degree.

I am currently a second-year student at the UCLA Anderson School of Management. I will receive my MBA in marketing in June 2007, and I hope to get a marketing job in the sports apparel industry. I spent my summer working as an intern in the marketing department of Octagon Sports Management in the Washington DC area. I have been very involved at UCLA Anderson, serving as chairman of the Anderson Brand Management Committee, Leadership Foundations section leader/TA, and a member of several clubs and organizations such as the Sports Business Association and the Marketing Association.