Amy (Lee) Kim – Class of 2004

amyleekim Amy (Lee) Kim keeps her eye on the prize. Both personally and professionally, Amy sets goals and then achieves them.

Amy’s focus was demonstrated as a student at UCI. She was determined to do well in H90 (Science Core) even though she is “definitely NOT a science person.” So she joined a study group and stayed up late with fellow CHPers studying for midterms and finals. These study/ bonding sessions provided her with many fond memories of suffering through sleepless nights as well as earning successful grades in the entire H90 series.

After receiving her B.A. in English, Amy received her M.S.Ed. in Postsecondary Education and Student Affairs at USC.

Amy couldn’t stay away, however. She is back at UCI as a counselor for the School of the Arts. Amy now helps her students set goals for themselves, and provides them with resources to achieve those goals. She gives credit for her professional persona to CHP advisors Susan Csikesz and Erkki Corpuz, saying, “I learn by example. I had two amazing counselors…that helped me navigate through my undergraduate years at UCI.”

Amy directly impacts the lives of hundreds of students as she assists them with their transition to UCI, and ultimately helps them graduate. “What I love most about my job is that I get to work in the arts, which I love, and am surrounded by so many amazingly talented and creative faculty, staff, and students.”

As Amy herself acknowledges, there is more to life than school or work. She married her college sweetheart, Kevin Kim, in 2006. In her spare time, Amy sings and plays the violin. Beyond being happily married and expressing herself through music, Amy also has her eye on another big prize in 2010: she wants to compete in the World Series of Poker. She is gearing up by playing lots of poker and is always looking for a home game in which to play. Her words to any challenger: “I’ll gladly take your money.”